Former name of Mustafapasa during the Ottoman Empire era was Sinasos. It had a mixed population. Greeks and Karamanlides (Turkish speaking Christians) constituted the majority of the population and Muslim Turks constituted the rest. Although situated far from the seas Sinasiotes (Greeks from Sinasos) who temporarily migrated to Istanbul, were known to be the traders of seafood and especially caviare. The small town had many eloborate houses by the wealth from Istanbul. In 1924 however by the Population exchange between Greece and Turkey agreement, Greeks and Karamanlides left the town for Nea Sinasos a town in the northern part of the island of Euboea in Greece. They were replaced by Bulgarian Muslims and Turks from Kastoria, a town in northern Greece. During the exchange years the town lost its former prosperity.